Skip to main content

The Heart's Deepest Search

Stephen leaves home as early as 5:00AM, spends the whole day busy with computers and gadgets, not just satisfying his customers but researching on solutions to many business solutions.

For Skila, she is a mother to twins who are toddlers, she is self-employed growing her agro-marketing company as well as a transport system for an effect transfer of foodstuff from the Zambian rural areas.

Her goal is to been financially stressless in her 40s and 50s so that her twin boys could have a well supplied colleges education thereby escaping the scorching poverty in Zambia.

Even though Idowu graduated with a first class degree in Economics from the University of Abuja, his situation has not been an easy one. With such a testimony, came three offers of well paying jobs. He chose one of course, but the stiff competition on this international platform has taken a toll on his mind.

Idowu has extraordinary demands from his company that is basically profit crazy and neither understands nor accepts excuses for not meeting up his quota. Last month he was threatened all round: His mum has not seen him in nine long months although the live in the same city; he has not had a private time with his wife or intimacy in 6 weeks and meals are becoming necessary obstructions.

"We pay you huge man, deliver the goods!!", is his boss' daily anthem.

Dolvan and Passia married three years, four months, one weeks and 2 days now, without a child and with only the memory of a miscarriage six months into their wedding. At every turn and from every dawn to sunset, someone from both families of the couple driving them nuts about kids.

Last week after a scorging days travails, his threatened him with the suggestion getting either a second wife or getting a kid outside the marriage.

She shouted on the phone, " Give me my grandkids Dol!! I'm not going to the grave without holding my grandchild! "

People are seeking something. Everyone everywhere is trying to get something. And after the get it or fail to, they go after another things. There is no limits to the things people want.

However, of all the things we seek, there is one that few people seek. That's the Lord. Jeremiah said, in chapter 29:
"11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.
13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." NIV

So many people are seeking for what they want and not what they need. What they want may be legitimate or illegitimate. Somethings we need are necessary others and unnecessary. Somethings we need are essential others are for fun or pleasure.

However, there is a hunger in man for God. There is a thirst in the heart of man for truth. The quest for inner satisfaction has driven man to unthinkable places. All other religions other. All religions are man's response in search of that God.

It's not enough to know God exist. We have to seek Him. Man's pursuit for wealth, material possession, influence man affluence, fame and recognition, power and authority ends in emptiness.

From Solomon's experience we can glean all we need to know.
Ecclesiastes 1:14 "I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind.
15 What is crooked cannot be straightened;
    what is lacking cannot be counted.
16 I said to myself, “Look, I have increased in wisdom more than anyone who has ruled over Jerusalem before me; I have experienced much of wisdom and knowledge.” 17 Then I applied myself to the understanding of wisdom, and also of madness and folly, but I learned that this, too, is a chasing after the wind.
18 For with much wisdom comes much sorrow;
    the more knowledge, the more grief." NIV

Solomon continued sharing his personal experience with life, the hard truth is laid bare.
We who hold the Word of life must bear in mind the urgency of this need. We must appreciate the difference. We must work, conscious of these misplaced priorities and address them appropriately.

Then he added:
Ecclesiastes 2:1 "'I said to myself, “Come now, I will test you with pleasure to find out what is good.” But that also proved to be meaningless. 2 “Laughter,” I said, “is madness. And what does pleasure accomplish?” 3 I tried cheering myself with wine, and embracing folly—my mind still guiding me with wisdom. I wanted to see what was good for people to do under the heavens during the few days of their lives.
4 I undertook great projects: I built houses for myself and planted vineyards. 5 I made gardens and parks and planted all kinds of fruit trees in them. 6 I made reservoirs to water groves of flourishing trees. 7 I bought male and female slaves and had other slaves who were born in my house. I also owned more herds and flocks than anyone in Jerusalem before me. 8 I amassed silver and gold for myself, and the treasure of kings and provinces. I acquired male and female singers, and a harem as well—the delights of a man’s heart. 9 I became greater by far than anyone in Jerusalem before me. In all this my wisdom stayed with me.
10 I denied myself nothing my eyes desired;
    I refused my heart no pleasure.
My heart took delight in all my labor,
    and this was the reward for all my toil.
11 Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done
    and what I had toiled to achieve,
everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
    nothing was gained under the sun.
Wisdom and Folly Are Meaningless
12 Then I turned my thoughts to consider wisdom,
    and also madness and folly.
What more can the king’s successor do
    than what has already been done?
13 I saw that wisdom is better than folly,
    just as light is better than darkness.
14 The wise have eyes in their heads,
    while the fool walks in the darkness;
but I came to realize
    that the same fate overtakes them both.
15 Then I said to myself,
“The fate of the fool will overtake me also.
    What then do I gain by being wise?”
I said to myself,
    “This too is meaningless.”
16 For the wise, like the fool, will not be long remembered;
    the days have already come when both have been forgotten.
Like the fool, the wise too must die!"'

There is nothing to add to this elaborate illustration.

God bless you as you digest these words!
David Pam McQuel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REPOSITIONING CAN MAKE YOU MORE EFFECTIVE

  B Y    D A V I D     M C Q U E L Hello Everyone!   It has been a long while. The year 2022 has finally passed. And we are still here. God is to be glorified. We absolutely give God thanks.   I tried to review the year, looking backwards at my pleasure and displeasure with the year. I also did try to see where I failed, underperformed or missed the mark both set by God or by my heart. I always like to do an honest self-appraisal. I bear in mind that either lavishing praises on myself or ignoring things that should be fixed are not to my advantage. Transparency may hurt but I stand to gain first before someone else.   Here are a few things that I came to a conclusion on: 1.       I need to make certain necessary adjustments or changes or repositioning either on my character, my commitment, my determination or my effort. This is non-negotiable. I cannot continue to do things the way I did and expect a different result. I am impressed by European football. If there is s

FIVE YEARS ON...

B Y   D A V I D    M c Q U E L HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL   But for us at the World Missions Centre, Abidjan, it is an even bigger day. Today is the 5 th anniversary of the launch of the World Missions Africa Blog.   When we launched on January 1, 2017, we had only on our hearts a message to share about the love of God through our Lord Jesus Christ and on our minds anxiety and questions if anyone at all will read the message we blog.   Here was our first blog post published on January 3, 2017: “Welcome to our blog. World Missions, Africa is making every effort to bring the love of Christ to all humanity. Primarily, we focus on  Africa  now in our physical activities. But with the online community, our efforts extends to the ends of the earth. Jesus died for all humanity. Every race, every ethnic group, every people, male or female, bound or free, the gospel of salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ is free to all. Jesus said, "Go into all the world and preach the go

THE RICH FAMILY IN OUR CHURCH

I'll never forget Easter 1946. I was 14, my little sister Ocy 12, and my older sister Darlene 16. We lived at home with our mother, and the four of us knew what it was like to do without many things. My dad had died five years before, leaving Mom with seven school kids to raise and no money. By 1946, my older sisters were married, and my brothers had left home. A month before Easter, the pastor of our church announced that a special Easter offering would be taken to help a poor family. He asked everyone to save and give sacrificially. When we got home, we talked about what we could do. We decided to buy 50 pounds of potatoes and live on them for a month. This would allow us to save $20 of our grocery money for the offering. Then we thought that if we kept our electric lights turned out as much as possible and didn't listen to the radio, we'd save money on that month's electric bill. Darlene got as many house and yard cleaning jobs as possible, and both of us baby sat fo