Skip to main content

The Abnormally Normal Sunday Diary

Walking through the perfectly manicured lawn, walking towards the recently completed huge landmark excellently architectured sanctuary, I couldn't help but whisper "Thank You Jesus" for this great feat. We've come far, well far away from the ramshackle embarrassing facility we first worshipped in, through the non-ventilated stuffy hall we used for 12 years.
God is good!
Walking before me was a newly wed couple who grew up before us in this church and behind me was the only destist in town. Everyone in church is proud to belong to here. And so was I.
This humble congregation boasts of the governor worshipping here 34 of the 52 Sundays in a year. And our church is a household name.
I whispered beneath my breathe, God is good.
I came to church 30 minutes before the worship begins and I have the time to welcome guest worshippers. My pastor has build a standard. And I have to be superbly dressed to my taste.
Again coming early gives me time to go through my pastors extraordinarily provoking messages. My pastor knows how to raise nothing but success. And we all love it.
Just look at a summary of men and women of timber and calibre in my church:
Three of the five bank managers in town attend my church, the only Dentist and the two best lawyers are among our deacons. We have a university professor, a few non-ignorable businessmen, a owner of a private basic school and many bankers and civil servants. Where else can one belong?
I thank God everyone refers to our church as the centre of success.
Today as I looked at my notes, well crafted subjects alone in January. On the 3rd, Building your career to out build others. On the 10th, Destined to dominate. On the 17th keeping a class of success around you. And 24th, looking for your goldmine. Today is 31st, I can't wait for my skillful, intelligent pastor! He just seem to know what my itching ears need.
Sure enough, the service just a little less than perfect. Long hours of rehearsals paid off. They took the time to cross every "t" and dot every "i". Now the senior pastor will be more than pleased.
In the midst that beautiful impressive building was your student from a non distant seminary, who was working on a research to determine the attention of worshippers today.
She picked 7 worshippers to interview. She expected to fine enough materials to prove the focus of Christians today. These seven included, a 9 year old kid, a teenager, an owner of a famous restaurant, the dentist, two business leaders, and a civil servant.
Here were their responses to a simple question, What should be the most important pursuit in the heart of a Christian?
The Civil Servant
The Christian should outdo his colleagues, be smart, rise above other and push them off from being at the top. This is best way to work among unbelievers and show them Christ is more influential than the devil. We have to outshine them.
The First Business leader
I run my company efficiently. I am a proud example of success. I don't keep weak people around me. Last month I fired a departmental head, he came late claiming his wife is pregnant and needed to stay with her for an hour. Well, I told him off. We can't have people who put their responsibility first before this work.
The Second Business Leader
Whatever I do, I must make the best sacrifice to attain my target. Everything is secondary.
The Dentist
Serving humanity is the best and greatest pursuit. I belong to the Rotary Club. My awards and medals. And that consumes me.
The Restaurant owner
Grow my business, make more money and increase my tithe and giving to church.
Teenager
My parents want me to follow their footsteps but one thing consumes me more than law, there is only one question that burns in my heart. Jesus called Peter to fish men. WHAT IS HE CALLING ME TOO? I fast and pray weekly that I may know.
The Kid
I want to be stronger than Spider man.
This young researcher left deeply shocked. Two passages of the Bible run through her mind:
1. Revelation 3:14 “To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:
These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God’s creation. 15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17 You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.
19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. 20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.
2. Ecclesiastes 12:13 Now all has been heard;
    here is the conclusion of the matter:
Fear God and keep his commandments,
    for this is the duty of all mankind.
14 For God will bring every deed into judgment,
    including every hidden thing,
    whether it is good or evil.
This young researcher left the church, sad. She was not sad because people had so many pursuits that had nothing to do with God and His expectations.
She has read military stories, biographies and muslim suicide bombers who left notes behind. It will appear that the military, business and Islam is filled very ambitious youth. However, the Church has very few who look forward to promoting the faith as in other generations. 
She left soul searching. The result of the research exposed the emptiness in her and the need to pursue God's will and kingdom expansion.
Blessed are you when you find in your place in God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REPOSITIONING CAN MAKE YOU MORE EFFECTIVE

  B Y    D A V I D     M C Q U E L Hello Everyone!   It has been a long while. The year 2022 has finally passed. And we are still here. God is to be glorified. We absolutely give God thanks.   I tried to review the year, looking backwards at my pleasure and displeasure with the year. I also did try to see where I failed, underperformed or missed the mark both set by God or by my heart. I always like to do an honest self-appraisal. I bear in mind that either lavishing praises on myself or ignoring things that should be fixed are not to my advantage. Transparency may hurt but I stand to gain first before someone else.   Here are a few things that I came to a conclusion on: 1.       I need to make certain necessary adjustments or changes or repositioning either on my character, my commitment, my determination or my effort. This is non-negotiable. I cannot continue to do things the way I did and expect a different result. I am impressed by European football. If there is s

FIVE YEARS ON...

B Y   D A V I D    M c Q U E L HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL   But for us at the World Missions Centre, Abidjan, it is an even bigger day. Today is the 5 th anniversary of the launch of the World Missions Africa Blog.   When we launched on January 1, 2017, we had only on our hearts a message to share about the love of God through our Lord Jesus Christ and on our minds anxiety and questions if anyone at all will read the message we blog.   Here was our first blog post published on January 3, 2017: “Welcome to our blog. World Missions, Africa is making every effort to bring the love of Christ to all humanity. Primarily, we focus on  Africa  now in our physical activities. But with the online community, our efforts extends to the ends of the earth. Jesus died for all humanity. Every race, every ethnic group, every people, male or female, bound or free, the gospel of salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ is free to all. Jesus said, "Go into all the world and preach the go

THE NEED FOR TODAY

  B  Y   D  A  V  I  D   M c  Q  U  E  L Depositphotos Blog That we live in dangerous times is no revelation. However, how we navigate through it must be by revelation. We should live happy lives, glorifying God and successfully preparing our kids to face the world ahead of them successfully also. Among the many realities of today are:   The War Against Conventional Truth Truth is being replaced with feelings on a massive scale like never seen before. What we were thought while growing up as moral, biblical or civil truth is now bastardize and replaced with the lefts version of truth which is relative truth. Truth basic on emotions and sentimentalism. For a long time, promiscuity and sexual perversity was know to be immoral by all of society even those who didn’t go to church. Today, it is what you feel good that is truth.   The War Against Biblical Values It is fashionable now to dismiss any biblical view. In fact, Islamic values, Buddhist or atheist are more readily a