Skip to main content

WHAT MATTERS MOST

BY    D A V I D    P A M    M C Q U E L




It is without question that some things matter more than others.

In our daily lives, we make choices. Our choices are based on our values. Our values drive our choices. We have choices because there are options.

Jim Rohn said, “It doesn’t matter which side of the fence you get off on sometimes. You cannot make progress without making decisions.”

And John Maxwell said, ”Life is a matter of choices, and every choice you make makes you.” There is no overemphasizing how important making choices affect us.

In fact, not making decisions is decision making already. Not choosing is a choice. Rejecting left is already choosing right. Accepting God is rejecting satan as well as going along with the devil is turning your back on God.

 God throughout scripture revealed the power of choice.

In Genesis 4, is the account of Cain, first man ever born and his sibling Abel. As Adam and Eve raised their young family, everyone grew up with his way of life. Cain became a hunter and Abel settled down at home to practice agriculture.

Adam and Eve also raised their kids to know God, Elohim.

Again, everyone responded to training differently. Cain was ambitious in other things, but Abel his brother was attracted to godly paths. When the appointed time for worship came, everyone’s commitment to God showed. And it was at different level for each person.

Consequently, God honoured one and despised the other. God, of course was impartial. And he received Abel’s worship. He despised Cain’s. That instead of inspiring humility and repentance in Cain, sparked jealousy and envy on the contrary.

As Cain reflected on what next to do, God from heaven looked with mercy. Although God despised his offering, He didn’t reject Cain as a person. All that Cain needed to do was repented and make a better presentation to God next time. He rather chose to go downhill into to bitterness.

God spoke to him in love, to make his choices carefully. “Then the Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast? If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it.” Genesis 4:6, 7

The Lord God said to him, “…why is your face downcast? If you do what is right, will you not be accepted?” Cain had the choice not to be face downcast. He had the option to do what was right. And God was helping make the best choice.

In fact, God couldn’t be clearer in verse 7, “…in is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it.”

“Hey Cain, your spoiled brat attitude is getting lethal. Be careful.” sort of. In His great love, God was warning him ahead. Yet Cain was overwhelmed by bitterness and God almighty warning him made no difference.

Few hours later, it was too late. He murdered his only brother.

In another place, God’s final instruction for Israel before entering the promise land was very phenomenal.
“This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the Lord is your life, and he will give you many years in the land he swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.” Deuteronomy 30:19, 20

They were given the choice between life and death.
There were given the choice between blessings and curses.

And they were encouraged to chose life and blessings. However, if they preferred death as they did later, they chose death. And Joshua and Caleb chose life, and they lived.

But there is even a greater choice set before us. It is the choice of where we spend eternity after this life. Many people live as if when the die, it is over. That is either naïve or ignorant. Although to many also is it arrogance. What matters most is the love of God towards us in Jesus. What will you do about it?

Mark 16:15, 15, Jesus said to His disciples, in sending them out:
“He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.”

The gospel is preached or taught, accepting it or rejecting is totally up to the listener. Nobody can force or manipulate or deceive anyone to believe and accept. It is up to you to accept or reject it.

You can believe it or reject it, it’s your right.

However, the love of God towards us is great. He sent His son Jesus Christ to die for us. His love is greater than we can fathom. In our sins, He still loves us. In His Mercy He forgave us. In His Compassion He laid down His life for us.

No one has ever done anything near this for us.

God wants us to accept His love in Christ Jesus. And we will receive the transformational ability to become God’s children. Today, God can save you. If you open your heart and call Him in.

If your heart is touched by the love of God, and you want Jesus into your life, pray this simple prayer.

Dear God, I understand that you love me. I understand that I am lost in my sins. I come to you with all my heart. My heart is open to you, I invite you to come in. from this day, become my Lord and my Saviour for the rest of my life. Thank you for accepting me and giving me a new life. I know that I am now a child of God, in Jesus name.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

REPOSITIONING CAN MAKE YOU MORE EFFECTIVE

  B Y    D A V I D     M C Q U E L Hello Everyone!   It has been a long while. The year 2022 has finally passed. And we are still here. God is to be glorified. We absolutely give God thanks.   I tried to review the year, looking backwards at my pleasure and displeasure with the year. I also did try to see where I failed, underperformed or missed the mark both set by God or by my heart. I always like to do an honest self-appraisal. I bear in mind that either lavishing praises on myself or ignoring things that should be fixed are not to my advantage. Transparency may hurt but I stand to gain first before someone else.   Here are a few things that I came to a conclusion on: 1.       I need to make certain necessary adjustments or changes or repositioning either on my character, my commitment, my determination or my effort. This is non-negotiable. I cannot continue to do things the way I did and expect a different result. I am impressed by European football. If there is s

FIVE YEARS ON...

B Y   D A V I D    M c Q U E L HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL   But for us at the World Missions Centre, Abidjan, it is an even bigger day. Today is the 5 th anniversary of the launch of the World Missions Africa Blog.   When we launched on January 1, 2017, we had only on our hearts a message to share about the love of God through our Lord Jesus Christ and on our minds anxiety and questions if anyone at all will read the message we blog.   Here was our first blog post published on January 3, 2017: “Welcome to our blog. World Missions, Africa is making every effort to bring the love of Christ to all humanity. Primarily, we focus on  Africa  now in our physical activities. But with the online community, our efforts extends to the ends of the earth. Jesus died for all humanity. Every race, every ethnic group, every people, male or female, bound or free, the gospel of salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ is free to all. Jesus said, "Go into all the world and preach the go

THE RICH FAMILY IN OUR CHURCH

I'll never forget Easter 1946. I was 14, my little sister Ocy 12, and my older sister Darlene 16. We lived at home with our mother, and the four of us knew what it was like to do without many things. My dad had died five years before, leaving Mom with seven school kids to raise and no money. By 1946, my older sisters were married, and my brothers had left home. A month before Easter, the pastor of our church announced that a special Easter offering would be taken to help a poor family. He asked everyone to save and give sacrificially. When we got home, we talked about what we could do. We decided to buy 50 pounds of potatoes and live on them for a month. This would allow us to save $20 of our grocery money for the offering. Then we thought that if we kept our electric lights turned out as much as possible and didn't listen to the radio, we'd save money on that month's electric bill. Darlene got as many house and yard cleaning jobs as possible, and both of us baby sat fo