Skip to main content

One Soul At A Time

I looked forward to this evening, since the appointment was made. I have known Konga for three years now. He has a difficult appearance and dread in the estate by some but supposedly unfriendly. And kept a small circle of hardcore friends that look alike, tattoos, earrings and intimidating muscles.

I didn't know what he makes of me, a missionary. We have had just a few cordial greetings nothing much. But day and night I have desired to share the gospel with every single soul in this estate.

After three years of seeing someone five days of the week makes starting a simple conversation less suspicious. I walked up to him a week earlier, on a Tuesday morning, smiled and tried a short chat. I didn't intend to blast off with a holier-than-thou repent-or-you-perish evangelistic jargons. I just wanted simple spark of friendly communication, and that I got.

And much more! I got a smile, an invitation inside, more importantly an appointment to share the good news of salvation in Christ. Konga was not as near rigid as the community assumed. A combination of choleric and phlegmatic bile plus childhood a traumatic experience sort of locked him up and gave him such a false impression.

I was elated. I considered my job half done.

I'm always battle ready. I've stored up God's word in my heart and ready to share at a moments notice. However, prayer is never enough.  The work of prayer in winning a soul, discipling and establishing in the faith is probably the hardest. Its the place of battle.

Every unbeliever directly or indirectly is under a demonic influence. The labour of evangelism is warfare. It is taking the gospel to the gates of hell.

In order for the unbeliever to receive the word, we must take time to pray and prepare the ground. We must suspend demonic influence over people before we take the gospel to them.

A Scriptural example is found in Acts 13, as Paul and Barnabas took set out on their first official missionary journey. Their first listener was a man of high political standing who has heard a little about the growing church in Jerusalem and the exploits of the gospel. Sounded like a good new philosophy and he was willing to give it an ear. 

Acts 13
4 The two of them, sent on their way by the Holy Spirit, went down to Seleucia and sailed from there to Cyprus.
5 When they arrived at Salamis, they proclaimed the word of God in the Jewish synagogues. John was with them as their helper.
6 They traveled through the whole island until they came to Paphos. There they met a Jewish sorcerer and false prophet named Bar-Jesus,
7 who was an attendant of the proconsul, Sergius Paulus. The proconsul, an intelligent man, sent for Barnabas and Saul because he wanted to hear the word of God. 8 But Elymas the sorcerer (for that is what his name means) opposed them and tried to turn the proconsul from the faith.
9 Then Saul, who was also called Paul, filled with the Holy Spirit, looked straight at Elymas and said,
10 “You are a child of the devil and an enemy of everything that is right! You are full of all kinds of deceit and trickery. Will you never stop perverting the right ways of the Lord?
11 Now the hand of the Lord is against you. You are going to be blind for a time, not even able to see the light of the sun.” Immediately mist and darkness came over him, and he groped about, seeking someone to lead him by the hand.
12 When the proconsul saw what had happened, he believed, for he was amazed at the teaching about the Lord.

Finally, Tuesday 16:00hrs came, appointment time, and I was at the gate 5 minutes before time. I have prayed, I've listened to the Spirit of God for my message and my approach. And I dressed up moderately but clean.

I rang the door bell, the door open a minute later, and it wasn't Konga but a modestly dressed young woman ushered me into a well polished luxurious living room. She was simple and her "Bonsoir Monsieur" was warm, charming and heavily French an accentuated.

I was under no illusion that Konga will fall before the Lord in one sitting and cry his eyes sore in repentance. But I was sure he will sit  down and hear the gospel attentively for the first time.

"Un peu d'eau"? She asked in her rich French, I loved to hear her speak. Her French is sweet.
"Oui, Merci." I replied. Hoping that she doesn't get disappointed  with my English accented French.
I was served chilled water in a beautiful long glass.

I was barely through when Konga walked down the stairs, with another friend. When were all seated, I had four guys and a lady as my audience. I expected to speak with Konga alone now I had five strong young me.
I scanned around my audience to see the faces of my listeners. I'm naturally shy but when it comes to sharing the gospel, I suddenly become fearless.

The impression of my audience, Konga and the lady, Chantale were very reverent. Another was uniterested, the next was suspicious and the other I had no idea what was behind the stone face.

"Prions", I smiled and I bowed my head and gave a 30 seconds prayer. I don't believe the other three bowed or closed their eyes. That wasn't important to me now. The most important thing was they will soon be thinking about their lives and eternity.

After the preliminary pleasanterie, which worked well in easing the tensions, I started. I told about God's irresistible love for us in Christ and the open door before everyone of us. Bit by bit the the Word of God chipped away their prejudices and their suspicious.

When I got to the part where the focus turn from group response to personal response, everyone of them realized they were on their own. Thoughts, images and realities hit everyone, as the truth about eternity became clear.

My message ended in 27 minutes 17 seconds and I was contented that they sat wrapped and attentive for that long. I didn't know they'll sit for as long as 10 minutes. I asked for a decision for Christ.

Konga and the lady were totally broken as they looked helpless. How ever, they asked for another sitting again next Tuesday. The stonefaced guy was indifferent. The sceptic was ready to accept Christ now. And the last person turn down outrightly the gospel.

I walked out the door as I came but better. With a soul saved, two at the thresholds, I went home smiling in extra, extra large style.

I blessed God and asked for my dinner. God is good and the kingdom is making progress, one soul at a time.
God bless you. 

David Pam McQuel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REPOSITIONING CAN MAKE YOU MORE EFFECTIVE

  B Y    D A V I D     M C Q U E L Hello Everyone!   It has been a long while. The year 2022 has finally passed. And we are still here. God is to be glorified. We absolutely give God thanks.   I tried to review the year, looking backwards at my pleasure and displeasure with the year. I also did try to see where I failed, underperformed or missed the mark both set by God or by my heart. I always like to do an honest self-appraisal. I bear in mind that either lavishing praises on myself or ignoring things that should be fixed are not to my advantage. Transparency may hurt but I stand to gain first before someone else.   Here are a few things that I came to a conclusion on: 1.       I need to make certain necessary adjustments or changes or repositioning either on my character, my commitment, my determination or my effort. This is non-negotiable. I cannot continue to do things the way I did and expect a different result. I am impressed by European football. If there is s

FIVE YEARS ON...

B Y   D A V I D    M c Q U E L HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL   But for us at the World Missions Centre, Abidjan, it is an even bigger day. Today is the 5 th anniversary of the launch of the World Missions Africa Blog.   When we launched on January 1, 2017, we had only on our hearts a message to share about the love of God through our Lord Jesus Christ and on our minds anxiety and questions if anyone at all will read the message we blog.   Here was our first blog post published on January 3, 2017: “Welcome to our blog. World Missions, Africa is making every effort to bring the love of Christ to all humanity. Primarily, we focus on  Africa  now in our physical activities. But with the online community, our efforts extends to the ends of the earth. Jesus died for all humanity. Every race, every ethnic group, every people, male or female, bound or free, the gospel of salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ is free to all. Jesus said, "Go into all the world and preach the go

THE RICH FAMILY IN OUR CHURCH

I'll never forget Easter 1946. I was 14, my little sister Ocy 12, and my older sister Darlene 16. We lived at home with our mother, and the four of us knew what it was like to do without many things. My dad had died five years before, leaving Mom with seven school kids to raise and no money. By 1946, my older sisters were married, and my brothers had left home. A month before Easter, the pastor of our church announced that a special Easter offering would be taken to help a poor family. He asked everyone to save and give sacrificially. When we got home, we talked about what we could do. We decided to buy 50 pounds of potatoes and live on them for a month. This would allow us to save $20 of our grocery money for the offering. Then we thought that if we kept our electric lights turned out as much as possible and didn't listen to the radio, we'd save money on that month's electric bill. Darlene got as many house and yard cleaning jobs as possible, and both of us baby sat fo