Skip to main content

THE BEST GIFT FOR THE NEW YEAR

BY   D A V I D   P A M    M C Q U E L



"I was in Walmart with Malinda, my daughter, about an hour ago, looking at the Bibles, and remembered what she had told me about not being able to understand the regular King James version. I found a very nice New King James Version, and was having fun with her, showing her all kinds of great things in it, and all of it was to where she could understand it.

I then turned to Hebrews Chapter 11, and told her, "Now This is known of as The Hope Chapter of the Bible." We had just started to read it, when this older, black gentleman walked up suddenly, and exclaimed happily, "You're reading the Bible and I can understand that!" I looked up at him and said, "Yes Sir, as I am showing my daughter the New King James Version, and how much easier it is to understand.

It's in the Giant Print." He replied, "Oh, that's what I am needing so much! You see, I love the Lord and the Bible, but I can't always understand it." I then told him, "Why don't you take this one, as you know that you can understand it, as you heard me reading it just now." At first he hesitated, saying, "But you were going to buy that one, Ma'am," to which I responded, "That's fine, as my daughter can find another one down there just like this one, and hey look, God is working in this so that Both of you are able to get the copy of the Bible that each of you need! He's Right Here, in the middle of this. Do you see it?"

That gentleman lit up like a Christmas Tree, grinning and beaming with joy, shaking my hand, taking the Bible I had been reading, wished me and Malinda a very Merry Christmas, thanked me again, then took off to go and pay for it immediately. Malinda was so excited herself, saying, "There's no denying that God just did that, Mama." I told her, "Honey, you are so right about that!"
When my dear friend shared this story on Facebook, I asked to develop it into a blog which she graciously accepted. I read it over and again and can’t tell you enough how blessed I got each time.
I got into thinking about this encounter. 

There are two points I saw in it.

First, Isn’t it incredible if parents took time out to buy their kids something else better than toys or an iphone or a tablet? So many have the impression and transfer it to their kids that buying an incredible gift is either a nice expensive gown, a costly jewellery, the latest makeup kit or a world brand collection.

These are all precious treasures to be adored. However, they are earthly and perishables.
How about taking a friend out, a lover or your precious kid and buying them a brand new Bible on New Year! Isn’t that genial? Many Christians who would judge other Christians for the slightest error or omission will not even care that their kid or friend does not have a Bible!

This precious mum took her time out at the beginning of the year to get a new Bible. And she was particular about getting her a Bible in an English the young lady could understand. The must important thing about having a Bible is understanding it.

In as much as many Christians adore the King James Version, and some are extremely fanatical about their devotion to the KJV, Bible and ancient language editors tell us that the King James Version is not the only standard version.

In fact, there are many good translations of the Bible in contemporary writing which helps people understand studying the word of God.

One of the main ways to drive youths away from the Bible, especially youths with no religious background is to make them read only the King James Version. The language is archaic with so many obsolete words that have either changed in meaning or are no longer used completely. How does that help young people love the Bible, less read it?

Even further, my friend Ann showed her daughter how precious the Bible was to her, how relevant it is in life and how important her daughter should uphold it.

Excellent!

This parent deserves commendation.
Would parents take time out to show their kids that the Bible, God’s word is precious to everyone? How much that would have help! We wouldn’t need to deal a lot with drugs, crime, promiscuity, homosexuality, pressure or worldly influence as our kids grow and get natural curious.

It is beyond overemphasizing how relevant it is for parents to share times of studying God’s word. Especially when parents can show testimonies of how God’s word helped them in their personal times of crisis.

The second pointer for me in the encounter is the fact that my friend offered a gift to perfect stranger! So many of us are so taken over by this “This is my money, I have to take care of me!” We should be open to be used by God to offer a Bible or a good Christian literature to someone in need.

When last did you buy a Bible for your friend, a colleague, your spouse or your own child?

A Bible is more precious than an iphone, a tablet, a laptop, those shoes, the costly perfume or the jewellery. The eternal worth is exceedingly far important than any of this perishable earthly goodies.
A Bible can get someone know God, grow their faith and eventually lead others to God likewise. It is a worthy thing and admirable to consider helping others have access to God Holy Word.

In this new year 2019, get yourself a good study Bible, get one for a friend, a colleague, your family member, your kid or even for a perfect stranger.

It will be an eternal gift with an eternal impact.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REPOSITIONING CAN MAKE YOU MORE EFFECTIVE

  B Y    D A V I D     M C Q U E L Hello Everyone!   It has been a long while. The year 2022 has finally passed. And we are still here. God is to be glorified. We absolutely give God thanks.   I tried to review the year, looking backwards at my pleasure and displeasure with the year. I also did try to see where I failed, underperformed or missed the mark both set by God or by my heart. I always like to do an honest self-appraisal. I bear in mind that either lavishing praises on myself or ignoring things that should be fixed are not to my advantage. Transparency may hurt but I stand to gain first before someone else.   Here are a few things that I came to a conclusion on: 1.       I need to make certain necessary adjustments or changes or repositioning either on my character, my commitment, my determination or my effort. This is non-negotiable. I cannot continue to do things the way I did and expect a different result. I am impressed by European football. If there is s

THE RICH FAMILY IN OUR CHURCH

I'll never forget Easter 1946. I was 14, my little sister Ocy 12, and my older sister Darlene 16. We lived at home with our mother, and the four of us knew what it was like to do without many things. My dad had died five years before, leaving Mom with seven school kids to raise and no money. By 1946, my older sisters were married, and my brothers had left home. A month before Easter, the pastor of our church announced that a special Easter offering would be taken to help a poor family. He asked everyone to save and give sacrificially. When we got home, we talked about what we could do. We decided to buy 50 pounds of potatoes and live on them for a month. This would allow us to save $20 of our grocery money for the offering. Then we thought that if we kept our electric lights turned out as much as possible and didn't listen to the radio, we'd save money on that month's electric bill. Darlene got as many house and yard cleaning jobs as possible, and both of us baby sat fo

FIVE YEARS ON...

B Y   D A V I D    M c Q U E L HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL   But for us at the World Missions Centre, Abidjan, it is an even bigger day. Today is the 5 th anniversary of the launch of the World Missions Africa Blog.   When we launched on January 1, 2017, we had only on our hearts a message to share about the love of God through our Lord Jesus Christ and on our minds anxiety and questions if anyone at all will read the message we blog.   Here was our first blog post published on January 3, 2017: “Welcome to our blog. World Missions, Africa is making every effort to bring the love of Christ to all humanity. Primarily, we focus on  Africa  now in our physical activities. But with the online community, our efforts extends to the ends of the earth. Jesus died for all humanity. Every race, every ethnic group, every people, male or female, bound or free, the gospel of salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ is free to all. Jesus said, "Go into all the world and preach the go