Skip to main content

THE VALUE OF A SOUL

D A V I D   P A M   M c Q U E L

Although it is clearly stated in Jesus’ last instructions before ascending back to the Father, yet one big problem among Christians who should be going to win the whole world is choosing who is more valuable to save than the other.

Some years ago I met an old schoolmate who was really excited hearing that I was a missionary. He was curious to know if I was serving in the UK, Germany or the United States. When I told him I was serving in Ghana, he was evidently disappointed.

Of course, his idea of a missionary with prestige was one who will serve in developed countries which will boost my status and respect among men. The truth is everyone missionary is sent by God. And God decides where everyone fits. It is never a choice about comfort or pleasure. It is giving up everything to reach those who badly need God.

Jesus sent us to all mankind. In the business of salvation, there is no one soul more valued than the other. We have, as human beings all fallen short before God and equally need the same quality of mercy and compassion.

Therefore, we can’t measure the value of a soul be considering worldly standards.

Not your background
“Whether through money, talent, or just good publicity, certain families dominate American life.
There are legendary old money dynasties, twentieth century industrial dynasties, entertainment and sports dynasties, and political dynasties that hold a surprising amount of power for a democratic country.” Melissa Stanger, Katherine Stone, Dr. Tian Dayton, Joe Pinsker
However, none of these prestigious fame makes a single soul more important.

Not Place Of Birth
In “WOW! 9 OF THE WORLD'S MOST LUXURIOUS PLACES TO DELIVER A BABY” Katherine Stone shared:
At the Matilda Hospital in Honk Kong, you have to put down a $20,000 deposit just to book a room, but that room features a balcony overlooking the South China sea.

Or The Chelsea and Westminster, located in London, opened up its Kensington Wing especially for mums looking for privacy and extra care, including a champagne breakfast. They charge £6,000 for a birth, which would be nearly $10,000

Cedars-Sinai Hospital, is where the Hollywood celebrities go to deliver their posh brood. You can get a three-room, two-bath private suite for just $3,784 per day. You will receive fresh fruit and muffins, chilled juices, and can arrange for bedside salon services, because who wants to leave the Hospital looking like they just had a baby?

What difference does this make from a child born in rural Malawi?

Not Your Parent’s Worth
In the opening statement of “Growing Up Rich: How it Shapes Identity” By Dr. Tian Dayton
“It is no social secret that having wealth can provide a person with status, power, and open the doors to acquiring education and polish. If the rest of a person is attended to by maintaining healthy moral and personal values the wealthy person will generally have a strong enough inner world to sustain their core needs for belonging, self-esteem, contribution and love. In this case, wealth can be a great blessing. But when wealth subsumes the self and substitutes for what we need on a deep, human level; it can become a Faustian bargain.”

I came across this confession from an anonymous writer, of his personal frustration with life and its meaning. “What's it like to be a child with billionaire parents? Well, I certainly wanted for nothing. From the moment I was born, I was able to have nearly anything that I even thought of desiring. Whatever I wanted, I got. It was as simple as that. Want to get a car? Sure, I'll call the guy. I had my own American Express Centurion Credit Card (or as some people call it, a Black card). I could buy nearly anything I wanted without worrying or even glancing at the price tag. Looking back as an adult, it's actually kind of repulsive.”

Not your education
“But research into happiness has also yielded something a little less obvious: Being better educated, richer, or more accomplished doesn’t do much to predict whether someone will be happy. In fact, it might mean someone is less likely to be satisfied with life.” Joe Pinsker in “Why So Many Smart People Aren’t Happy”

Not Life’s Socio-Economic Status
Jesus taught that a man’s life does not consist of the abundance of the things that he possesses. In other words, you don’t rate the value of a soul by how much material things he has amassed.

One day a certain young man so impressed by Jesus’ ministry came to seek assurances from Him. He told Jesus he needed assurances on how to have eternal life.

Matthew 19:16
Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?”
17 So He said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”
18 He said to Him, “Which ones?”
Jesus said, “’You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’
19 ‘Honour your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbour as yourself.’”
20 The young man said to Him, “All these things I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack?”

This was an impressive resume from a young man who is highly successful, disciplined and considered successful. It is difficult to fault this young man. He had both spiritual and material possessions and basically had a high moral standard.

21 “Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

This was a level where his loyalty will be tested. And for the young man, it was a no go area. Never has he ever had such demands placed on him. His wealth was all he got. It was his identity. His wealth was his pride. Taking it away was losing himself. His possessions had him. That was his faulty line.
22 “But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.”

In other words, the value of his life was measured by what he possessed. How sad.

However, the truth stands that educated or illiterate, young or old, male or female, Jew or gentile, rich or poor, the value of every single soul before God is one. A Muslim, an occultist, a Hindu, a secularist, an agnostic, an atheist, a monk, liberal, an irreligious, or whoever it is, the price of salvation, the relevance of salvation and the joy of salvation is equal in the sight of God.
Proverbs 22:2
“Rich and poor have this in common:
The LORD is the Maker of them all.”

Whether a celebrity on the world fame stage or a poor farmer in an inaccessible village without access to any form of technology, they both stand before God enjoying the same affection, compassion and love.

There is rejoicing in heaven for each soul save, no matter the educational, socio-economic status, there is an amazing expression of overflowing joy when either receives the gift of salvation.

Luke 15:7 “I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance.”

We need to spread compassion to every human being, show love unreserved and reach out boldly to everyone about the free gift of life through the sacrifices of our Lord Jesus Christ. It is a gift to all with no favouritism.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REPOSITIONING CAN MAKE YOU MORE EFFECTIVE

  B Y    D A V I D     M C Q U E L Hello Everyone!   It has been a long while. The year 2022 has finally passed. And we are still here. God is to be glorified. We absolutely give God thanks.   I tried to review the year, looking backwards at my pleasure and displeasure with the year. I also did try to see where I failed, underperformed or missed the mark both set by God or by my heart. I always like to do an honest self-appraisal. I bear in mind that either lavishing praises on myself or ignoring things that should be fixed are not to my advantage. Transparency may hurt but I stand to gain first before someone else.   Here are a few things that I came to a conclusion on: 1.       I need to make certain necessary adjustments or changes or repositioning either on my character, my commitment, my determination or my effort. This is non-negotiable. I cannot continue to do things the way I did and expect a different result. I am impressed by European football. If there is s

THE RICH FAMILY IN OUR CHURCH

I'll never forget Easter 1946. I was 14, my little sister Ocy 12, and my older sister Darlene 16. We lived at home with our mother, and the four of us knew what it was like to do without many things. My dad had died five years before, leaving Mom with seven school kids to raise and no money. By 1946, my older sisters were married, and my brothers had left home. A month before Easter, the pastor of our church announced that a special Easter offering would be taken to help a poor family. He asked everyone to save and give sacrificially. When we got home, we talked about what we could do. We decided to buy 50 pounds of potatoes and live on them for a month. This would allow us to save $20 of our grocery money for the offering. Then we thought that if we kept our electric lights turned out as much as possible and didn't listen to the radio, we'd save money on that month's electric bill. Darlene got as many house and yard cleaning jobs as possible, and both of us baby sat fo

FIVE YEARS ON...

B Y   D A V I D    M c Q U E L HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL   But for us at the World Missions Centre, Abidjan, it is an even bigger day. Today is the 5 th anniversary of the launch of the World Missions Africa Blog.   When we launched on January 1, 2017, we had only on our hearts a message to share about the love of God through our Lord Jesus Christ and on our minds anxiety and questions if anyone at all will read the message we blog.   Here was our first blog post published on January 3, 2017: “Welcome to our blog. World Missions, Africa is making every effort to bring the love of Christ to all humanity. Primarily, we focus on  Africa  now in our physical activities. But with the online community, our efforts extends to the ends of the earth. Jesus died for all humanity. Every race, every ethnic group, every people, male or female, bound or free, the gospel of salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ is free to all. Jesus said, "Go into all the world and preach the go